Do you need to file a claim with the VA?

The American Legion, Department of Michigan Veteran Services Division

Our American Veterans who have served this country should receive the benefits they have earned from the U.S. Department of Veterans Administration in a timely manner.

The American Legion, Department of Michigan hires and trains accredited Veteran service officers to the U.S. Department of Veterans Administration regulations and with American Legion resources and training to be current on benefits available to military Veterans and their families.

American Legion, Department of Michigan accredited Veteran service officers assist Veterans, located throughout the state, in filling out the appropriate forms correctly, filing the forms and evidence with the USDVA, and being the point of contact for Veterans as the claim process moves forward.  If the claim is denied the American Legion will represent the Veteran in front of the appeals board at the regional offices and at the Washington, D.C. offices at no charge to the Veteran.

Step One:

Find an Accredited Veteran Service Officer near you:

You will be redirected to the Michigan Veterans Coalitions FY 23 Work Plan: FY 23 VSO Workplan 20221016

Or contact an organization below:

The American Legion

(313) 964-6640

Do You Need to Apply for Benefits from the Veterans Administration?

Are You a Current Member of the Military, a Military Veteran, or Family Member, and Resident of the State of Michigan seeking help with obtaining Veteran Affairs Benefits?

The Veterans Administration was created to help our American Veterans, established after World War 1 they created programs and benefits to help those who had served under honorable conditions. As a service member, you may have received some sort of Transition Assistance Program classes before you were discharged out, however, at the time you only wanted to get home.

Did you miss the part about the health care benefits or compensation and pension?

Now that you have been home a while, yes you may qualify for benefits other than the educational benefits of the GI Bill. As an older veteran from another wartime era, you too may be eligible for benefits you have long been eligible for and entitled to but have not taken advantage of them.

Don’t Face the VA Alone….

Congress authorized veterans to have a 3rdparty represent them at the VA for the purpose of their claim processing. The veteran may assign a “power of attorney” to an individual or an organization to properly represent them. In the case of the Michigan Veterans Coalition, the veteran would have a “power of attorney” with one of the 5 organizations. The organization would hold the POA for the life of the claim. Why is this important? A veteran’s claim may be denied by the Veterans Administration; however, the veteran has a right of appeal. With coalition members, we are 1 floor down from the Detroit Regional office where the claim was submitted. If the claim goes to Washington, D.C. during the appeals process the national organizations of the various coalition members would oversee the appeal there. At “NO COST” to the veteran.

Beware of Attorney’s

Several years ago the US Congress authorized that attorneys may represent veterans in the claims process. Be aware that they may charge you for these services (sometimes taking 25%-30% of any lump sum compensation). The Michigan Veterans Coalition members have been representing veterans for over 80 years and have over 125 years of accredited veteran service experience on staff and ready to work for you.

Ready to get started?

Who should consider looking into Veteran Administration benefits or health care?

  • Veterans discharged or released under other than a dishonorable condition
  • A veteran laid off from work or employed with no health insurance
  • A Vietnam Veteran who served in country and now has Type 2 Diabetes, heart conditions, certain cancers, respiratory conditions, or a number of other related presumptive conditions.
  • Post 9/11 Era Veterans.
  • The spouse of a veteran who has passed away, but was receiving disability compensation from the VA.
  • A veteran or veterans spouse living on a low income or are homeless.